Board of Directors
Joan Eichner, DrPH
UPMC Center for High Value Health Care
Brian W. Matthews
Schneider Downs & Co., Inc.
Janet Duderstadt, Esq.
Arconic – Pittsburgh Corporate Center
Internal Communications Specialist – UPMC
Chief of Staff – Oil, Gas & Chemicals, Deloitte Consulting
Associate – LANGAN
Dean of School of Social Work – Univ Pitt
Retired – Bayer Corporation
Retired – BNY Mellon
Jennifer Hoerster, CPA
Associate Vice President of Finance & Administration – Chatham University
Nikki Hudak-Fink, RPh MPH
Randall C. King
Kate McKenzie, CAP, D.Sc.
Director of Development – The Pittsburgh Foundation
Writer, Community Volunteer
Sr. Vice President – Client Engagement and Human Resource Operations – Highmark Health
Service Desk Technician – Continuum Managed Services, LLC
Brocton G. Skeen
Principal/Attorney – The Skeen Firm PLLC
Barbara J. Smith
Adrian S. Turner, M.A., LMFT
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, Owner – Helping Others Heal LLC
Chief Executive Officer
Marisa C. Williams
3724 Mt. Royal Blvd., Suite 101 – Glenshaw, PA 15116
HEARTH Cell – 412-366-9801 EXT 3915 / HEARTH Cell – 412-400-2933
We are looking for more board members!
The Board of Directors is an essential part of the leadership team at Hearth. In this role, the ideal candidate will be an experienced strategic thinker, problem-solver, and willing ambassador who can support efforts to create awareness and resources for HEARTH to maintain its service to its clients. This is a unique opportunity for an individual who is passionate about HEARTH’s mission and wants to have a meaningful impact on homelessness and Domestic Violence.
The Board Member will support the work of HEARTH and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by HEARTH’s chief executive officer (Executive Director), the Board-Executive Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as she develops and implements HEARTH’s strategic plan
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities including approving HEARTH’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
- Assisting the Executive Director and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions and action items are carried out
- Serving on committees and taking on leadership roles as possible
- Representing HEARTH to stakeholders and acting as a proactive and enthusiastic ambassador for the organization to current and potential donors, volunteers, partners, and community stakeholders
- Ensuring HEARTH’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities HEARTH serves
HEARTH Board Members will consider HEARTH a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that HEARTH can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, it is crucial to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Additionally, fundraising success is dependent upon Board Member participation. Board members are expected to support events through sponsorship solicitation, ticket sales, auction items, and attendance. HEARTH’s major fundraising events are held in June, October, and December.
HEARTH’s Board Members serve a three-year term and are eligible for re-appointment for one additional three-year term. Board meetings are held on the third Wednesday of every month except July and December. Committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings and scheduling of events.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Related personal and/or professional experience with leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A passion for impacting families who are homeless and/or have experienced domestic violence
- Willingness to learn about HEARTH’s clients, the challenges they face, and the services HEARTH provides
- Willingness to be an ambassador who can support efforts to create awareness and cultivate meaningful relationships for HEARTH
Service on HEARTH’s Board of Directors is without remuneration and voluntary.